Gretchen McNary - THE Girl Friday
Hey. I’m Gretchen. I’m the owner, HKB and THE Girl Friday. I always told people that Girl Friday got started by accident. Part of that is true, but now I’m convinced it was in the cards all along. I was given a path and I chose to run with it. So far, it’s working. It’s stressful, but I can’t imagine doing anything else. My love for food and feeding people is something that comes naturally to me. I was put on this earth to help people. For awhile I was convinced it was nursing, but this happened.
I’m not a trained chef. Martha taught me everything! Could I know more? Absolutely! I learn so much on a daily basis. I’m still blown away at the lessons I've learned in just the two years I’ve been in operation. I imagine that I will keep learning until I hang up my apron. I won’t lie. Some lessons were hard, but it’s how you choose to grow from them. Having the best people around makes a huge difference. That’s not BS either. I only surround myself with the best. I am truly the luckiest person in that regard. My circle is tight and that's just the way I like it.
IF you know me, you know that I’m passionate about things I love and things I dislike. In an effort to keep things light, i’ve made a list of both.
Things I like:
- My husband. He is my best friend and biggest supporter. He also possesses the ability to make me want to pull my hair out. I guess that happens when two people know each other for more than half of their lives. None of this would be possible without his constant push or his hard earned money 🙂
- My childrens. Besides my dude, they are also my biggest supporters. My littlest one keeps my business card in her desk at school and my middle one tells everyone about. They spend a lot of time at GF sitting on their devices and complaining about when we're going home. I’m hoping one day they will wander into the kitchen and want to learn and help out more.
- My mom who I miss tremendously, my daddy who showed me what hard work looks like, and my step-mother who I kept at arm's length for many years. I really missed out because she is amazing. It wasn’t until I lost my mom that I realized what an amazing person she is. My amazing MIL and Aunt Rosie hold down the fort when I’m not there. My sisters and brother who I rarely see but still love and my very special nieces and nephews that I love more than anything in this world. Did you even know that I’m a great Aunt?
- My friends. I have some good ones. You know who you are!
- Crossfit- I love crossfit. I love my community. Without them, none of this would be possible. My community built me. Sadly- it’s really hard to make time for it and I rarely get there. I know what you’re going to say…..Gretchen...you have to make time. Gretchen…..you need to take care of yourself. I know. I know. I’m working on it. I’ll get back there eventually!
- Tennis. I play tennis every Friday morning. I love it so much. There are a few of us from High School that get together and play. Brandt is our instructor and we torture the shit out of him. He loves it, too!
- Music. I’m super annoying about this. Ask my staff. I rarely let them listen to their own music. I know, I’m a dick for it but I cannot help it.
- Swearing. I love to swear. It feels good, and I do it often. Of course, I know when it’s appropriate and not appropriate. Don’t worry, I won’t drop F-bombs around your children.
Dislikes: Washing dishes, little backpacks, Meatloaf (The singer not the food), unloading the dishwasher, white tennis shoes, spiders except for daddy long legs, I’m totally cool with them, people that make noise while eating, Cilantro and cancer in any variety!
I want to personally thank everyone that has ever supported me in any shape or form and helping fulfill the dream that I never knew that I had.